Monday, January 24, 2011

Making the switch...



I went to see a Diabetes Nurse Educator this past weekend as a part of my routine check-ups. Since getting my new pump, controlling my glucose levels has been a bit easier. The doses of insulin are more exact, the calculation of carbs is more accurate, and delivering my doses is a lot easier. Most of the time I don't have to touch my pump because I have a remote - oh yeah! One of the first things the nurse did was download the past couple of weeks of glucose checks, carb intakes, and insulin boluses. What? Yeah... I don't have to keep take of any of that because the pump does it for me. She took that information and made charts and graphs and could analyze how I am controlling my diabetes.

To say the least - she was quite impressed! My A1C was 5.8 (which she said was one of the best numbers she has seen in a long time). Since being diagnosed at age 22, I have always wondered if I am doing everything the right way or if I am really understanding this disease. It is really comforting to know that I am doing something right. The only recommendations that she gave me was to take a multi-vitamin and to cut back on the caffeine. Um - one of those might be close to impossible. But, I am going to try. So, I'm making the switch to half-caffeine and decaf and just plain cutting back. So, I hope I don't turn into a walking crabby-zombie.

No comments: