Monday, January 22, 2007

More Photos from the DR




Hopefully I will get some of my film photos scanned in... then I will put some up here, but for now here are 3 more digital photos from the Dominican Republic. One is of a little friend that was on the wall of our bedroom when we arrived at the ministry center where we stayed. Another is of Meg and others in the group using a pulley to bring buckets of sand to the 2nd and 3rd floors of one of the schools we worked on. Most of the work we did was moving sand, gravel, water, and cement mix; mixing sand, gravel, water and cement mix; and carrying mixed cement to the guys who were hired to lay the floors and cover the walls. The other picture is of Jesse and Meg teaching the workers a little English during lunch break.

And a quick movie review: FREEDOM WRITERS
Meg and I went and watched Freedom Writers on Friday night. I feel like the same/similar story has been done so many times (Dangerous Minds, The Ron Clark story) but maybe that's not such a bad thing. Especially because this one is based on more recent events and may be a little more relevant than a movie in the era of Coolio's Gangsta's Paradise. One thing that really bothered me is the teacher's husband. I didn't really understand the character... he just didn't make sense to me at all. Other characters seemed to be a little exaggerated, namely the rest of the faculty at the school, but it is a movie after all. I think Freedom Writers presented enough things to think about for me to say that I recommend watching this movie, especially if you are a teacher... or maybe even married to a student who hopes to be a teacher next year.

1 comment:

Richard McKrank said...

Raab, I gotta try and give you a call soon!

-Reehb